The report of the Biomedical Research Workforce Working Group of the Advisory Committee to the Director, NIH, includes recommendations that could have a broad impact on NIGMS training programs.
- Developing individual development plans (IDPs) for those in graduate and postdoctoral training supported by NIH funds from any source,
- The length of time NIH should provide support for graduate students,
- Providing more uniform benefits packages for postdocs,
- Gathering information about individuals receiving NIH support for their training,
- Reporting by institutions of aggregate career outcomes of graduate students and postdocs on a public Web site,
- Considering multiple career outcomes as indicators of success when reviewing training grants, and
- Launching a dialogue with the extramural biomedical research community to assess how NIH supports the biomedical community, including faculty salaries.
I strongly encourage you and your colleagues to submit comments by the April 22 deadline, because your input is key to developing policies that serve the scientific community and improve the training experience of graduate students and postdocs.