As co-chair of the search committee for a new NIGMS Director, I want to tell you about the committee and ask for your help in identifying candidates for this critical position.
The committee members are:
- Harold Varmus, Director, National Cancer Institute (co-chair)
- Story Landis, Director, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (co-chair)
- Anthony Fauci, Director, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Eric Green, Director, National Human Genome Research Institute
- Roderic Pettigrew, Director, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- Carol Greider, Professor, Johns Hopkins University
- Stan Fields, Professor, University of Washington
- Steven McKnight, Professor, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Joan Steitz, Professor, Yale University
Not surprisingly, we’re looking for an exceptional leader with strategic vision and a distinguished record of research and management achievements. NIH Director Francis Collins met with us last week and emphasized the need to find an outstanding person who can speak compellingly about the importance of basic research, can direct the Institute’s efforts to support exciting research across a broad range of disciplines and is committed to fulfilling the Institute’s mission of training the next generation of scientists.
For more about the job qualifications, how to apply and other details, see the official vacancy announcement at http://www.jobs.nih.gov/vacancies/executive/nigmsdirector.htm.
The application receipt deadline is April 29, 2011.
Please share this information with others who might be interested.
UPDATE: The application receipt deadline has been extended to May 13, 2011.