I’m pleased to congratulate six members of the NIGMS community who are among the recipients of the 2018 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring . They include:
- Ann L. Chester, Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) principal investigator, West Virginia University
- John A. Pollock, SEPA principal investigator, Duquesne University
- Virginia L. Shepherd, SEPA principal investigator, Vanderbilt University
- Elba E. Serrano, Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) principal investigator and IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research Excellence mentor, New Mexico State University
- Maria da Graça H. Vicente, Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) principal investigator, Louisiana State University
- John K. Haynes, Institutional Research and Academic Career Development Awards (IRACDA) co-investigator, Morehouse College
The award recognizes outstanding mentors whose efforts encourage the next generation of innovators and help to develop a science and engineering workforce that reflects the diverse talent of our nation, key goals of a number of programs here at NIGMS.
Awardees received a Presidential certificate and a $10,000 grant to continue their mentoring activities at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., last month. Please join me in congratulating all winners of this prestigious honor.